Overview

Overview

.

.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Let the beatings begin.


I started work on the 1/8th scale model. That means that every 1/8th of an inch equals one foot in real life. It's also the size of HO Gauge. I started with a piece of plywood cut to roughly the size of a 4x4 acre swatch of land. That'll include the parking lot etc. 


The most important element of this model are the scale people. I love to pretend I'm that size and I'm walking around the property. It's such a great way to tell how everything should be arranged. Graph paper is also handy because each square equals 2x2 feet. I'm getting a good feel for the size of our 36 putting "greens".


The Mine Train ride is going to dictate where everything else falls into place. It's a narrow gauge rail system so I'm using N scale track on an HO scale layout. Before I started this I knew nothing about real railroads but a couple of people have been kind enough to school me on the subject over the past few months. It was pretty easy to lay out the route because I've already built this entire park in my mind:)




Next I'm going to elevate the track to be 10 feet over the ground. Golfers will play uninterrupted by the train. I built a trestle out of balsa wood, made a silicone mold, and now I'm making multiples out of liquid plastic.  


  As a stand in for the Main Lodge I used an HO scale Plasticville Contemporary House kit from the early 1960's. You've seen it somewhere before haven't you? WED Imagineering used this model kit when they built Walt Disney's EPCOT (Progress City) model for Disneyland. It fit right into the residential areas and can still be seen today as viewed from the WEDWAY People Mover at the Magic Kingdom.  If you'd like to do a little diorama of Easy living in the city of EPCOT these run for about $20 on ebay.


I went wild sketching out the plan right on the plywood. There's The Smoke Tree BBQ! 



The loading area for the Mine Train.


MUCH MUCH MUCH more to come:)

4 comments:

  1. I loved this article and watching the model come to life! Just like the old days at WED! Thanks for doing this and allowing us to follow along with your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing more of this model. Ive had a hard time picturing the scale of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing more of this model. Ive had a hard time picturing the scale of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If you can dream it, you can do it". - Not Walt, but a nice sentiment.

    ReplyDelete